Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My first plane was a US Aircore 40 trainer. It was a good first plane but was way under powered by todays standerds. Basically it took two thirds of a three acre field to get up in the air and then would barely climb up over an electric fence on the other side. Don't get me wrong, it was a great trainer and I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning to fly. Just don't put anything smaller then a .46 in it and I wouldn't be affraid to put a .50 in it. Eight pounds of plane is alot for a little .40 LA. But, it tought me to fly a plane and not just overpower it to the point that it would go up forever. Thakfully it was tough enough to take being flown into the ground more times then I would like to admit. And, to my surprise there was never really any damage. It finally bit the dust when I reconfigured it to a tale drager and for some strange reason it just would not fly right. I ended up crashing it and the impact split the wing in two. I tried to fix it and dicided that it was just plain time to move on. Below is a picture of the same plane on floats. Never had the nerve to try and fly it off the water. Besides, it would not have had the power to fly well and it would have been unstable.

2 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does you Aircore look like now? If you still have it?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger planemaker said...

I glued the the main wing spare back together then re-wraped the center with some coregated plastic that I got from a gas station (it was a ciggarette sign I think). Then, I tried to paint it because over time the printing rubs off. When I masked off some strips the masking tape tore off the paint with it. I found out that in manufacturing oil from there machines gets all over the plastic and coats it with a thin layer. The problem is that you can't just wipe it off, you have to burn it off. This can get to be really tricky to do without melting the plastic. So now it sits in my basement until I get enough motivation to try and do something with it. By-the-way it still flys great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home