Sunday, November 06, 2005

First Scale Kit

One of my first memories of RC airplanes is of a J-3 Cub. I was playing with some friends and there neighbors was into RC planes and had just crashed his Giant Scale J-3 Cub. Well, the wing was toast but the fuse survived. I don't know why he decided to get ride of it and not just build a new wing but he had given the fuse to my friends to play with. Being giant scale, and I being young, the darn thing was big enough for one of us to ride down a hill in. This neighbor had also riged up the steering, rudder and ellevator movments to a stick in the center. Needless to say that if the damn thing had a wing we would have flown. This is one of the reasons that I am invovled in the RC planes hobby. That and I think RC is cool. But, my dream has always been to own and fly a scale Cub. I have choosen to start out with something that isn't a giant scale but still pretty substantial in size. The Sig 1/4 Scale J-3 Piper Cub has a 108" wing span and recomended engine size I believe is .61-1.20. I will power it with a 28cc Mucalla engine that I converted to an aircraft engine. For this particular aircraft I have been told that usually they are powered with a 23cc to a 25cc gas engine. But, my engine is a little heavier then gas engines designed for model aircraft so the added power would be to my advantage. Plus I plan to put floats on it an fly off of the water, snow and ice. I plan to start building this winter with no deadline. I would like to build it to scale and include a pilot and cockpit. I really have no idea how I am going to do all of this but I have club members who I can call on for help. If you have ever built any scale planes at all, or this one in particular, I could use a little guidance. My building skills are okay but this will be my first scale attempt. So if you have any suggestions I thank you in advance. I could use all the help I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home